Friday, April 24, 2009

No democracy for me


I just found out that I will not be able to exercise my democratic right to vote in the elections to the EU parliament. That's what you get for being a non-EU citizen living in the EU...

Equally frustrating is the fact that I won't be able to vote in the Riksdagsval (election for the Swedish parliament, the "Riksdag") in 2010, so even though I live in Sweden, work in Sweden and pay tax in Sweden (and have been doing so for three years now), I'm not allowed to vote for politics I believe in and feel will make my living, work and tax-paying in Sweden a bit more enjoyable.

Damnit! Time to change some rules here, and adapt them to the phenomenon of globalization. Yes, people do travel and live and work abroad these days, and to insist they change citizenship every time they move, just to be able to parttake in decisions that affect themselves, is just ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment