Thursday, June 4, 2009

SJ


I had the pleasure of traveling by train today, just trying to do my part to save the environment. I had paid extra for re bookable tickets, in case I finished work early. I figured it would work more or less like it does when traveling by airplane: You can change flights within your class, no extra charge. But no... This is the deal over at SJ: Sure, you can change your ticket and go on an earlier train, but you have to pay the difference between the ticket you've bought and the new ticket, which is of course always more expensive since the Swedish railroad monopoly, Svenska Järnvägar, increase the ticket price the closer you get to the train departure.

This is what you get with a complete lack of competition. I guess SAS would do the same if they had a monopoly on domestic flights in Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment