Sunday, March 15, 2009

Copy protection


As most people know, but the movie industry is refusing to accept, creating copies of movie dvd's for personal use is perfectly legal - at least in Europe's more developed countries (well...depends on your point of view I guess, and I'll be mentioning Ipred and FRA later on, believe me!). This means that I can make a backup copy of a movie I've bought, or even make a copy of a movie I've borrowed from a friend or family member. Nothing peculiar about that.

Right now I'm trying to make a copy of a movie I've borrowed from a friend. My first attempts end with various errors, and I actually have to do some googling and install a new piece of software, AnyDVD, to accomplish my task. It took me half an hour longer to copy this "copy protected" movie than it usually does to copy dvd's without any protection. If I'd just downloaded the movie illegaly, I wouldn't even have to think about region codes or copy protection, it would be perfectly free from these ridiculous limitations, and I could make all the backup copies I wanted of it. Of course, they wouldn't be legal, but that's another discussion.

Anyway, by the time I'm done rambling about the ridiculous movie industry, the iso-file of the copy protected dvd is finished, and I'm all set for an evening of fun. About bloody time.

Oh, I almost forgot, the only thing warning a potential buyer that the use of this dvd is restricted beyond reason and law, is a tiny text on the back of the cover stating that "this dvd is copy protected and may be played only on licenced devices". Thank you so much, but I prefer to be able to play my dvd's on ALL devices, without restrictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment